What are GFs?
In this article I'll be rambling on about the potential explanations for Guardian Forces.
Theory: GFs are powered up monsters
GFs are monsters from the Moon that have acquired power of some manner, perhaps from magic draw points, by obtaining a GF of their own, or just by surviving to a ripe old age.
- Cactuar and Tonberry GFs can be obtained by defeating them in their Jumbo/Master forms
- Other powered up monster exist only as bosses not GFs, eg Elvoret (although technically Elvoret is weaker than Elnoyles)
Theory: GFs are created by sorceresses
Sorceresses can create GFs either from scratch, or from existing people, monsters, objects.
- Adel junctions Rinoa to herself, although this may just be the ability to junction anything/anyone
- Ultimecia creates Griever, potentially from Squall's imagination
- Doomtrain and Eden are based on manmade objects - a train, a garden/centra shelter
- Edea posesses a few GFs throughout the game, as well as bestowing Carbuncle to the two Iguion she creates
- Edea creates two monsters from statues and seems to control them, although there is no evidence that they are GFs
- Edea previously worked with Garden as a founder with her husband, Cid - stock GFs used by SeeD forces may have been created by her
- Tiamat was a GF but became a monster under Ultimecia's control rather than the other way around
- GFs used by Edea - Alexander &, by proxy, Carbuncle - do not seem to fit her nature, although she may have simply acquired these elsewhere
Theory: GFs are born from belief
Like Eidolons in FFIX, GFs are born from stories and belief in the creatures in them.
- Griever is created from Squall's imagination in which he sees him as the most powerful GF
- Most GFs come from areas that are bound to generate rumours and stories - eg. Brothers & the Tomb of the Unknown King, Ifrit & the Fire Cavern, Odin & the Centra Ruins - these could have originated in stories about the places
- Supporting evidence is conjecture - these GFs may simply live there because it is where they live - Brothers are in the employment of the Unknown King as stated in the game's script
Theory: GFs are deities
GFs are simply gods that have existed since the Great Hyne created the world, if this is in fact true.
- Answers no questions of their origin